The AFTNC Council is planning a new approach to choosing next year’s conference program. Rather than the Council choosing the conference speaker, we are sending out this survey to find out which speaker would be most exciting for our membership.
Please choose as many of the speakers you would like to see. Only check off those speakers whose conference you would attend. You will notice that for the first time, we are open to inviting speakers from the past. We have included a brief description of their areas of specialty. All of these speakers are leaders in the field. We don’t know if we can actually get them, but if the interest is high we can certainly approach them with a good sense of our ability to afford the event.
I will leave a more detailed description of the speakers as well as a link to find more information about each of them below.
Once you have decided, please follow the link HERE to access the Google Form to cast your selection(s).
Bart Rubin, Ph.D.
Member at Large
1. Bill Doherty – Discernment Counseling: this is a recently developed format for working with couples where one couple is leaning out of the marriage toward divorce and the other partner wants to save the marriage.
2. Lynn Lyons – Family Therapy with Anxious Children- Lynn has created a very useful model for working with anxious kids and their parents. She is the leader in the family therapy field working with anxiety. I find her model invaluable. I have not seen any other model for including the parents in this kind of work.
3. Gail Palmer – Emotionally Focused Family Therapy: She recently written a book on EFFT. This is a model based on the work of Sue John and attachment theory.
4. James Furrow – Also recently wrote a book on EFFT. They recently presented to the local EFT community and I’ve heard very good things about their presentation.
5. Jeff Conway – Schema Therapy with Couples: Schema therapy is as popular in Europe as DBT is in the US. It is the major empirically validated model for working with personality disorders.The approach with couples is useful for better understanding how to work with couples who present with deeper personality issues. The approach provides a model for integrating early childhood issues within an experiential couples framework.
6. Terry Real – Couples Therapy with Challenging Men: Terry works with really difficult couples, especially challenging men. He’s terrific. If you don’t know his work, I’d strongly recommend it. He is one of the leading couples therapists and has written several books as well as created what he calls “Relational Life Therapy.”
7. Richard Schwartz – Internal Family Systems: Dick is one of the leading family therapy leaders. His approach has been taught around the world and become increasingly popular. If you haven’t seen him yet, you will walk away with a wonderful family systems approach you can use with individuals, couples and families. I’ve trained with him and it was a wonderful experience.
8. Stan Tatkin – A Psychobiological Approach to Couples therapy: Stan has developed one of the newer models of couples therapy based on the latest brain science. He has written several books.
9. Ellyn Bader – A Developmental Approach to Couples Therapy: Ellyn has created a very popular model based on Bowen’s work. She is very well known in the couples therapy field. Unlike, some of the other speakers she is local so it may be easier to get her to accept our invitation. I find her work extremely useful with couples- many of her simple techniques have greatly enhanced my couples therapy work.
10. Ron Taffel – Family Therapy with Adolescents: Ron is a very popular presenter at the Psychotherapy Networker. He is very engaging. He has written several books on the problems of 21st century teens and children.
11. Thomas Sexton – Functional Family Therapy: Tom was one of the original developers of Functional Family Therapy, one of the few evidence based family therapy models for challenging teens.
12. Peggy Papp – One of the original members of the Women’s Project in Family Therapy. Does alot of couples therapy, also a lot of work with Adolescence. She is one of the original pioneers in the field.
Here is a list of possible speakers from previous years. I have chosen the ones who were most popular and were able to draw solid attendance.
14. Ken Hardy – Family Therapy of Trauma
15. David Epston – Narrative Therapy
16. Ester Perel – Couples Therapy, Infidelity